Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Dark Side of Customer Service

I'm going to try to keep this short [LOL, like that is EVER a possibility!]. Well anyway, in one way or another, we have all worked in an industry where customer service is a must. Whether it was that seasonal part time job working in the mall or that "nine to five" answering phones, we were at the whims and ways of someone. And 90% of all the interactions with people have either made us want to take an early break or simply lose our job by slapping the snot out of someone stepping out of line. Trust me when I say that you and I are on the same page in so many occasions!

My thoughts in preventing such acts of violence is to simply DROP IT! In truth, no one is tying us down to work our current jobs. There was no contract signed in blood that keeps us from walking out those doors. We work by choice. And if we choose not to work and get that paycheck, that is a consequence that we have to deal with when we choose to be unemployed. In moments of true stress and anger, let me suggest you go off into a quiet corner [I prefer my car. I'll explain later] and think about the situation. After your heart slows down and your breathing returns to normal, you'll realize that the situation was much about nothing. Also try to reflect on the reasons why you applied to this position in the first place. Obviously the reasons will vary but they serve as inspirations to take things in a better perspective and not let the moment entrap you in fruitless emotions that can only cause harm in the end. After reflecting on the situation, I find myself laughing at myself for letting such small confrontation irritate me so much. Nothing last forever and the situation you are in, will pass. Take it for what it is ... a lesson from GOD!

We also have to remember the stressful positions that these employees have when confronting us in our customer roles. We have to learn to show some appreciation to the fact that someone is willing to help us out. Now I can feel a disturbance in the force... someone proclaiming that we show our appreciation by paying their checks. At the end of the day, we have to realize that those who offer us service are people too. And sometimes, they complete tasks that some of us wouldn't dare do. And such acts of kindness can be the silver lining in the eyes of a stressed out employee.

At the end of the day, we all are in the service of someone. Even if you're self employed, you're in the service of your customers. Would it not be just plain common sense just to show a little consideration? But again, this isn't a perfect world. And proof of such walks around us everyday. My view is that no one is going to steal my joy.


BTW, about the car >> it's about choices. I could always start up the car and leave OR I can calm down, find my footing and continue moving forward. I choose to be employed and not everyday is going to be peaches and cream. Some days, I will just have to buckle down and brace for the worse.





No comments: